Here's what I have been getting from Amazon since 1996:
- A well organized web site
- E-mails sent constantly with updated shipping information
- Orders filled correctly
- A chance to provide feedback
Here's what I have been getting since 1984 by dealing with fencing vendors:
- Poorly designed web sites and catalogs
- No information when my order will arrive
- Items left out of my order
- Non-working equipment
- No interest in improving the customer experience
Can one do better than shopping at Triplette? It's doubtful. I once overheard a salesperson at American Fencing tell a caller from Australia that they would have to pay several extra dollars, on top of their several thousand dollar order, for an illustrated catalog.
I keep hoping that globalization, lowered transportation costs, and the Internet will facilitate more service oriented fencing suppliers to flourish. The good news is the Amazon sells fencing gear. The bad news is that these sales are not direct from Amazon, but through fencing vendors listed on Amazon.