Thursday, August 24, 2006

Phone(y) Service

Called Qwest a couple of weeks ago to transfer my landline number directly to my wireless service, also Qwest. Two different representatives told me me it couldn't be done. Knowing this to be untrue, I simply went to the Verizon website, ordered a snazzy phone, and requested that they tranfer, or as they call it, "port," my landline number.

When I checked on the order, I got an order not recognized response. I sent an e-mail requesting status and got back "your order should be shipped within 2-10 days" generic resoonse. I eventually recevied an e-mail saying that the order was shipped, but with no other info rmation. It would be nice to be able to track my order. I go through a similar process when checking on how the landline porting is going. Eventually I get an e-mail saying that Verizon has my order, and it should be done in two or so weeks. On a hunch I called Qwest to see if they had an order to transfer my landline number. Sure enough they did and gave me a due date on the order.

Lesson for Qwest: I might have kept my Qwest wireless service had their representatives been better informed or were able to access the correct information.
Lesson for Verizon: They wouldn't have to respond to my e-mails if their web based status system was actually working.

Disturbing trend: no where on the Qwest or Verizon site do they actually give you information on how to cancel your service.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Too right there. Companies are now taking the approach that once you sign up for their services they have you for life.

Recently I thought it would be nice to buy the upgraded service on my photo web site. The price was reasonable, but once I looked at the customer service part of the web site I changed my mind. There was no contact information or button to stop the service.

It limits my use and enjoyment of the web, but I now have a policy of never signing up for any service that requires my credit card number.